121 Diamond Spring Road
|M - Thu:||9:30am - 9:00pm|
|Fri:||9:30am - 5:00pm|
|Sat:||9:30am - 5:00pm|
Win weekly prizes!
Win grand prizes!
Get free books!
All you have to do are two things ... READ and VISIT THE LIBRARY. It's so easy!
Our Summer Reading Program runs from Monday, June 22nd through Saturday, August 1st and is open to Denville children from pre-readers through those entering 7th grade.
**To register for our Summer Reading Program, you must be a Denville resident.**
How does it work?
Sign up any time between now and August 1st on our Summer Reading Registration Form by clicking here. All registrations will be conducted online, and we ask that you please sign each child up separately.
How does my child keep track of their reading time?
There are no minimum reading requirements. If your child would like to record their reading time this summer, we have two options:
(1) Younger children may like the Summer Reading Log, in which they can color or cross out different symbols for every 15 minutes they read. Please click here or on the image below to print this log.
(2) Older children may prefer the Calendar Reading Log, in which they can simply write down the amount of time they read each day. Please click here or on the image below to print your calendar log.
* Stop into the Library to pick up a Weekly Visit Chart. We'll stamp your chart each week when you visit the Children's room, give you a weekly prize, AND give you tickets for weekly raffle prizes, including books, sports tickets, museum passes, and much more!
* Completed reading logs can be turned into the Children's department at the end of the program, but this is optional.
* Be sure to come to our End of Summer Party on Wednesday, August 5th at 2:30 pm at Valleyview. We'll be treated to a reptile show by Rizzo's Reptiles, and we'll have free books and ice cream from Denville Dairy. Woohoo!
“Regardless of ethnicity, socioeconomic level, or previous achievement, children who read four or more books over the summer fare better on reading-comprehension tests in the fall than their peers who read one or no books over the summer.”
- Kim, Jimmy. “Summer Reading and the Ethnic Achievement Gap,” The Journal of Education for Students Placed at Risk (2004).
“… the best predictor of summer loss or summer gain is whether or not a child reads during the summer. And the best predictor of whether a child reads is whether or not he or she has access to books.”
- Allington, Richard L. and McGill-Franzen, Anne. “Bridging the Summer Reading Gap,” Scholastic Instructor (2003, May/June).
Want to learn more? Click here or on the image below to find out how reading avoids the "summer slide." One more reason to join our Summer Reading Program!
Summer Reading Suggestions
Need suggestions on what to read? Check out these great sites!
Have a Happy Summer! Have Fun! Read!
© 2011 Denville Public Library. All rights reserved.
121 Diamond Spring Road
Denville, NJ 07834